Monday 15 November 2010

Handmade Christmas



This year we plan to have a handmade Christmas. Last year I made a number of presents but this year I want to make them all, this is because we believe that gifts are better made with the hands and come from the heart rather than bought in a shop with no real thought of the person you are buying for. We also have very little spare money available to spend, so our handmade Christmas is also going to largely be made from what we already have. It will be a great stash buster!
Over at Plain and Joyful Living, people are coming together and sharing what they are making for their loved ones. I have decided to do the same! I will list my finished gifts on here as they are completed, and link them over there too. I know I have started this rather late, I have been busy dollmaking and dealing with the usual run of coughs and colds when the weather changes. This is my list so far, it is a working list and likely to change!
My boys
Play shop/Waldorf style playframe – made from wood recycled from our old bedframe, this will be a joint present for our boys
 ‘The very hungry caterpillar’ quilt – made from panels of this classic book by Eric Carle that I have had for ages, this will be for my biggest.
‘Rockets’ quilt – I made a load of blocks out of David Walker’s fun rockets and planets fabric last year, I will finally finish it for a Christmas present! For my littleist.

Hobby horse – both my kids LOVE the hobby horses at their Kindergarten, so I am trying my hand at making them one each

Crowns and capes –stocking fillers, the boys love to dress up, and the biggest likes wearing leaf crown (above photo) so they should enjoy these

Floor cushions – for reading, snuggling, napping. I have some vehicle patchwork blocks I was using to try out a technique that I will use for these
Animal bean bags, hand puppets, owls, ribbons streamers – all stocking filler ideas

Personalised peg people, inspired by Andreann on her blog, Aux Demilunes. I think my eldest would love playing with peg people painted to look like us, and a felt house for them to live in!
Niece and nephew
Waldorf doll – in progress
Mum/Mother in law
Bag each, using stash fabric from Laura Gunn’s Lantern Bloom range.
Husband/Father in law
No idea! Why are men so tricky to craft for?! Any ideas much appreciated!

If anyone wishes to join me in creating a handmade Christmas, whether you make all your gifts or just one, then please leave a comment and link to your blog.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely ideas - this is putting the joy into the joy of giving at Christmas! I agree with the men being so tricky part but then perhaps that's why they traditionally end up with socks and ties!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a little list like this some weeks ago. And yes, found nothing for the men of my life. Oh well!
    http://demilunes.blogspot.com/2010/10/were-going-to-have-handmade-yule.html

    List year I made my in-law an apron, with a painted design on it.
    You could cook stuff?

    ReplyDelete